Summer in Chamonix offers the perfect playground for all kinds of rock adventures. On one side of the valley we have the Aiguilles Rouges and on the other, the Mont Blanc mountain range and the Aiguilles de Chamonix. You find multi-pitch rock routes of various length and difficulty.
Climbing in the Aiguilles Rouges is special. Touching the warm rock in T-shirt and shorts with the beautiful backdrop of Mt Blanc and its massive icecap is an unforgettable experience. Opposite in Les Aiguilles de Chamonix, lines along cracks and slabs take you up the big granite faces. Even higher up in the Mt Blanc range we find many classic alpine rock routes. Some of the world’s most spectacular granite pillars raise right off the snowy glaciers.
Hiking up Mer de Glace we can also reach the south side of Les Aiguilles de Chamonix, called Envers des Aiguilles, where a mountain hut is placed perfectly at the base of a seemingly endless line of granite faces. By spending the night in one of the refuges we can reach more remote climbs in heart of the Mt Blanc massif.
Best time: June to end of September
Price: From 360€ per day per group (max 2 persons)
– Full day of private guiding
– all group equipment (ropes, carabineers)
– Transport in the Chamonix Valley
– Mountain rescue insurance
– Lift pass (if needed)
– personal equipment (harness, helmet and climbing shoes)
For additional equipment needed take a look at your personal equipment list for alpine rock climbing.
Alpine Rock Routes In Chamonix
Completing the list of alpine classics in Chamonix is a lifetime project, but some nice climbs of varying difficulty that we recommend are:
Les Aiguilles Rouges:
– Frison Roche or Poema Loup on Brevent
– Voie Ravanel on Aig de Crouchues
– Arête Sud de la Glière
Les Aiguilles de Chamonix:
– Nabot Léon, L’eau Rince d’Arabie, or Majorette Thatcher on Aig de Blatière
– Vaucher/Contamine or Maillon Manquante on Aig de Peigne
– NE buttress od Aig de l’M
High altitude granite pillars:
– Rebuffat on Éperon de Cosmique
– Rebuffat or Contamine on South face of Aig du Midi
– Contamine or Harold & Maud on Point Lachenal
– Voie Suisse on Grand Capucin
– Voie Salluard on Point Adolpherey
– Voie Lépiey on Trident du Tacul
– Aig du Refuge from Argentiere hut
– Voie Rebuffat on Minaret
More reading about previous alpine climbing adventures, guest testimonials, and other useful information in the Alpine Rock Climbing.